Monday, August 29, 2011

Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies

I got this recipe out of a low-fat cookbook. I had never made it until today, when I was trying to find something to take to a friend with many dietary restrictions (including no eggs, dairy, or nuts). I wasn't expecting much out of them, but they're actually pretty good! The ingredient list is super simple.



Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies
Printable version here

1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg*
2 cups regular oats

1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Spray cookie sheet with non-fat cooking spray or line with parchment paper; set aside.

2. Stir together applesauce, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg until well blended in a medium-sized bowl. Gradually stir in oats until well blended.

3. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet. (I used my small (1 tbsp.) cookie scoop, and when I got a scoop of the oat mixture, I pressed it into the scoop with my finger to help pack it in. That made the cookies hold together better.)

4. Bake for 16 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 25 small cookies

** Freshly grated nutmeg is best, and really easy. I just buy a nutmeg from stores that have a bulk spice section (like Fred Meyer or WinCo), and one nutmeg lasts me a long time. It's amazing how much more fragrant it is freshly grated! I didn't measure how much I used in this recipe, I just estimated.

Why I love them? Well, the main reason I like this recipe is because it's very allergy-friendly. Even not counting that, they're just really good! It uses ingredients I always have, is really quick to make and is good for an easy snack for me & the kids. It's fat-free and has fiber (and sugar, so I wouldn't eat a whole batch of them).

2 comments:

  1. I used to make cookies like this when you guys were little. Very simple, but delicious and good for you!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. what makes them stay together? I am cooking some right now and they seem pretty crumbly. Will see when I take them out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete